Welcome to Kathleen’s Art Blog!

Monday, November 24, 2008

Perseverance in a weak economy

With this economic crisis looming over us craftspeople, i'm thinking about business survival over the past 30 years. The late 80s were the heady days of craft when I could sell ANYTHING I made, and for a good price. Then a recession came during the early 90s and everything plummeted. I was fortunate to be living in Turkey at the time because my husband, Dave, had a job there so I was not as affected as my artist/craftsmen friends. But, the best craftsmen survived.

We just kept making things, selling them the best we could and we survived. The reason is that we persevered. There is nothing like perseverance when it comes to art and fine craft, in the midst of economic downturns, in the midst of creative blocks, and in the midst of getting rejected from shows we always used to get into. The best craftsmen persevere, and maybe it kicks them in the butt in order to do a little changing and growing as well.

So even though I may not make as much money now as I have been in the recent past, I will persevere. And I will continue to strive for excellence, not dumb down my work to make it more "saleable". "There is always a market for excellence" I read once. I will persevere and continue to make excellent things to the best of my ability.

13 comments:

Raven's Clay said...

Once again, my friend, you inspire me and give me courage. Thank you (once again) for your insights and wisdom.

- Melanie

Tejae: Heart Shaped Art said...

Great advice Kathleen.

By the way, congratulations! Beautiful pieces in the NPCG Progress & Possibilities.

Judy said...

I could not agree more. Thanks Kathleen!

That Creative Place said...

It can be unsettling for a full-time artist in these times. I think that so many of us were told that art isn't a "real" job anyway and with the economy the way that it is, I wonder how many of us think, maybe I need to get a "real" job now?

I have always had a hard time making myself sit down to make things to sell. So lucky for me, I don't rely on it.

You have your teaching and if my guess is correct, that will be booming as never before in these uncertain times.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Lisa

Laura said...

I chose the worst time to get started with the crisis, and I know polymerclay love, Here I am!.
I am a big fan of your art, let me refer you to my blog

Caren said...

We have to keep putting one foot in front of the other. My art game gets raised another level when the chips are down and desperation looms. When we are all basking in a great economy, I don't think we do our best work. So lets use this Big Bummer to our advantage!

One thing is for sure: I am saving my pennies to take the Kathleen Dustin workshop in NM next year! Can't wait!

beadbunny.blogspot.com

Ct said...

I have watched your art form since you first hit the pages of a magazine and I was both inspired and in awe. I am an oil painter and I couldn't agree with you more over the excellence part. This is a day to continue to grow and be ready for turn about as it usually comes. The strongest usually survives and finds a way to do so.
May art always survive for the sake of the generations to follow.

Nashville Beatle said...

Nice comments and encouragement. There are so many cool ideas that polymer clay artists come up with.

Unknown said...

very inspirational... I was feeling rather discouraged lately, your post has cheered me up, thank you! :-)

Jennifer Geldard said...

Amen.

C i r u e l a said...

Oh god!
i just found out about your purses and absolutly adoreee em!
It's like fairy purses.
I want em so bad :P
I wish i could get one at least, but i don't know how that will be possible :(

Anyway, i want to congratulate you for your awesome purses.

Best regards

Diana :]

Audrey Heffner said...

I need you to perservere with this blog!!

El huitral said...

hello,
I have been making things all my life and I see myself reflected in you. I think my works are beautiful but I am not successful in shows because my pieces are very expensive and strange. I hear people saying: "how beautiful your work is" but nobody buys my jewelry, maybe people are afraid of not being classic. I will perservere no matter what. my husbsnd tells me not to lower the quality of my objects for selling's sake and I agree.
Thank you for sharing your feelings and incredible work!
Grace